traded P.K. Subban & Ray Emery to CHC for Loui Eriksson & Mathieu Garon
traded Derek Stepan & Jimmy Howard to Seeing Stars for Ryan Kessler & Antti Niemi
Because the club finished first overall in the regular season, The Haie received a bye in the first round. In the second round, the team went up against CHC, which it defeated easily, 9-3. This set up a finals matchup with the defending UHB champion, Texas Tornado.
It was a hard-fought series but in the end, the Haie swam circles around the Tornado, winning 7-6 and taking home the cup.
Currently, there are two different leagues that the UHB operates using Yahoo! Sports; UHB (head-to-head) and UHB2 (rotisserie). Both of these are dynasty or keeper leagues. A maximum of 16 teams is set as the league limit.
How to Join
There are a couple of ways to join either league:
1. Expansion: If one of the leagues has not yet reached the maximum allowable number of teams, it sometimes offers expansion franchises to prospective managers.
2. Transfer: Even when a league is full, there are times when a manager might neglect his/her team or decide that they do not want to continue the following season. In this case, we would transfer team ownership over to a new manager, even in the middle of a season, if need be. In either case, if a franchise becomes available, those who have been put on a waiting list, will be considered first. Waiting List
If you would like to be considered as a potential manager, simply leave a message here or through our contacts to be put on a waiting list. If a league expands or a franchise needs to be transferred, those who respond will be contacted and accepted on a first come, first served basis, provided they meet certain criteria. Yahoo! fantasy hockey profiles will be used as a barometer in deciding who is a successful applicant.
must be dedicated and not neglect team
must respond in timely manner to league e-mails and trade offers
must be willing to participate in live online draft
must respect fellow managers and commissioner
must be in for long haul (more than one season)
experience in other leagues is an asset but not necessary
The UHB is looking to expand this season from ten to twelve teams. Going into its 4th season, the head-to-head fantasy league transitioned into a dynasty league last year. That means managers are allowed to keep a certain amount of players from their current roster to carry over into next season. The league is free to join and there is a trophy awarded to the league champion as well as a consolation prize in certain cases.
Although it is possible that there might not be an NHL season due to a lockout, the UHB would still go ahead with its annual draft just in case a new CBA is reached. If the season is cancelled, you would at least have a roster of players to chose from to keep for next season. The draft is conducted live and online, using Yahoo! Sports. The new managers who join would draft 11th and 12th of the first round and then first and second in the following round, alternating in each successive round.
The prospective applicants should be dedicated and knowledgeable hockey fans. Part-timers need not apply. Prior fantasy hockey experience is an asset but not necessary. Your Yahoo! fantasy hockey profile will be considered when applying. The more experience and the higher your performance, the better your chances are of being granted a new franchise.
For more info about the rules, scoring and settings visit our UHB league page or browse other areas of this blog. If you have any questions, feel free to contact me or post in the comments section.
These UHB rules are in addition to the Yahoo! Sports rules. You are
expected to learn them and abide by them. Ignorance of the rules will
not be accepted as an excuse. This league is publicly viewable and aims to be family-friendly. The UHB and its commissioner reserve the
right to add to this list and/or modify any existing rule at any moment
for the good of the league.
1. No manager shall use the name of a real NHL or other
professional/minor league team for their team name. Names of famous
people, characters and works are also prohibited. Anything copyrighted
will be rejected.
2. No vulgar terms or language shall be used in whole or in part as a manager's team name or manager name.
3. Team names shall not be changed once the regular season commences. You may experiment with as many name changes as you want
between the time you sign up, right up until the time of the first
official games that count in the standings. At that point, the one you
choose will be the one you keep all season. ONCE THE SEASON STARTS, ALL
TEAM NAMES WILL BE LOCKED.
4. Team icons must be family-friendly and are subject to the same criteria as rule #2.
5. Good-natured trash talk will be allowed within reason but must be kept rated PG.
6. Any manager who neglects his/her team for an extended period of time
risks losing their franchise and could have the team assigned to a new
manager at any point during the season or at the very least, the
following season. Examples of neglect include but not limited to: not
responding to trade offers, not editing lineup regularly, not responding
to league e-mails, etc. If you are going on vacation, please edit your lineups for the time that you will be away.
7. Managers will be allowed to select 6 players from their roster to keep for next year's roster. Managers are only allowed to keep 1 goalie. The remaining 5 players can be any number of forwards and defencemen. Managers may also choose to not keep a goalie and select an extra F or D.
8. All of the UHB Commissioner's decisions are final.
9. Failure to comply with any of these rules will result in having your
team roster locked and possible banishment from the league.
10. To claim the UHB fantasy league prize (the mug), the winning manager
must provide a shipping address to where I, the Commissioner, can send
it. All costs will be assumed by me, the league's Commissioner,
including shipping and handling with the exception of possible custom's
duty fees. The prize awarded will be the one that is posted on this site
and indicated as the UHB Cup (League Trophy), no substitutions. The UHB
Commissioner shall not be held responsible for the winning team manager
failing to provide a valid shipping address. If no shipping address is
provided, the winner agrees to waive his or her right to the prize and
no cup shall be awarded. All personal information will be kept private
and will not be used for any other purpose.
11. Should I, the UHB commissioner, end up winning the league
championship, I agree to award the runner-up in the championship finals,
a consolation prize, that being a white value t-shirt. No substitutions
will be allowed for the consolation prize. As with rule #8, runner-up
will be required to submit a valid shipping address upon the finish of
the season or relinquish the consolation prize. Consolation prize will
only be awarded to runner-up if the UHB commissioner wins the UHB
championship. If any other team wins the league championship, no
consolation prize is awarded.
12. Joining this league means you understand and agree to these rules and conditions.
Hey hockey fans. It's that time of the year that we all look forward to; a new NHL season! With that comes a new fantasy hockey season also; or maybe not. You might have noticed that this post's title ends in a question mark. The reason for that is it remains to be seen whether NHL owners will lock out the players and if they do, for how long? Will it be the same as it was in 2004-05, when the entire season was cancelled? Only time and greed will tell.
In any case, the UHB still has to conduct business as usual in case there is a season to be played. That means gearing up for our annual fantasy draft. This will be the UHB's 4th season but the first in which managers are allowed to keep some players from last season's roster. This is what is referred to as a dynasty or keeper league. In this case, managers will be allowed to select 5 players in total from last year's team but only able to keep one goalie. If you were a manager last season, check your inbox for your invitation to join again this season.
Keep your fingers crossed and your stick on the ice.